We often speak with prospects who insist they need barcode scanning for managing their warehouse. This piece of functionality has almost become synonymous with needing inventory management functionality in general, but there are varying levels of barcode scanning technologies and businesses can sometimes achieve the same efficiencies without spending the money on the more sophisticated options. To determine what level of barcode scanning functionality can benefit your company, if any, think about the following questions:
- How many orders are received and shipped a day?
- How big is your warehouse?
- Is your warehouse set up with bin and shelf locations?
- How many picking errors do your warehouse staff deal with on a regular basis?
- Do you inventory a lot of similar products, with small differences?
- What percentage of the SKUs you carry actually have barcodes?